photos by Carol Allegri
MISS GILBERT’S ACADEMY 1842
This Greek-Revival Academy was originally located on the northeast corner of the commons. It was one of three academies built in the center of Strongsville. Miss Gilbert’s Academy was a private school that took the place of a high school. Half of the building, set up in the style of a one-room school, houses artifacts from the ten one-room schools that dotted our community from 1822 to 1923. The other half houses the Roe Millinery collection which was a donation from the Elias and Eldon Roe Millinery Shops.
THE LATHROP HOUSE
LATHROP HOUSE c.1871
This Victorian-Italianate style house was owned by Hazen Lahtrop from the early 1870s and later by his son and daughter-in-law, John and Minnie. It was originally located on Pearl Road at the top of the hill in the town of Albion, Ohio. Thaddeus Lathrop, the father of Hazen, was the first miller at John Strong’s grist mill at Albion (now Bonnie Park) in 1820. It houses artifacts from the Victorian era, including an exhibit of art glass and ceramics.
LOG CABIN representing 1816-1825
Built from a partial 1840s Holmes County log structure, this cabin was reconstructed in 1976 by Howard Chapman and friends to be a living example of life in Strongsville from its first settlement in 1816 to about 1825.
EBENEZER POMEROY HOUSE
EBENEZER POMEROY HOUSE c.1832
This Greek Revival brick house was built in the community of Albion, just north of the center of Strongsville. It survived the fire of 1843-44 that destroyed the main business area in the town of Albion. Albion was founded in 1834 by Benjamin Northrup and named in honor of his hometown Albion, NY. It houses the Velda Chapman Doll Museum and exhibits dolls, doll furniture, toys, and children’s books.
THE OLDS GENERAL STORE
OLDS GENERAL STORE c.1917
The southwest corner of Strongsville, where Boston and Marks roads cross, was known as Beebetown. The store was located a mile north of the corner. It was operated by Mortimer Olds from 1927 until it closed in 1964. It houses artifacts that represent general stores from the early to mid-twentieth century.
BALDWIN HOUSE c.1823
This early Greek Revival House, often referred to as a Western Reserve Cottage, was originally located on the site where the Pomeroy House now stands on the east side of Pearl Road. Dr. Baldwin, our second town doctor, came to Strongsville in 1821. A year later he returned to Connecticut to marry Miss Delia Alden, a descendant of John and Priscella Alden of Mayflower fame. Dr. Baldwin remained in Strongsville for fifteen years, leaving for Tecumseh, Michigan in 1836. The Baldwin House has the distinction of being one of the first wood frame houses built in the center of Strongsville.
It houses artifacts that represent the 1820s-1850s.
TRAIN DISPLAY – See the Strongsville Society of Model Railroad Engineers (SSMRE) “HO” exhibit in the basement of the Baldwin House.
For more information, visit the Historical Society's website, strongsvillehistoricalsociety.org