Please click the following links to access the Building Department's online services:


Click here to view Permits Required and minimum waiting times for specific projects. Click here to print a permit application. Permits are to be applied for by the homeowner or the contractor but the Building Department suggests that the contractor apply for the permits to perform work at a home. All contractors working for a fee on your property are required to be registered with the City of Strongsville. A list of subcontractors (form) is required for all projects. A permit is required by the homeowner if the homeowner is doing all the work on the project or is only using a contractor for part of the work. Building permits pay for inspections and inspections are required for most projects. For most residential projects, two sets of construction plans and two sets of a site plan are required. Please call the Building Department to receive a copy of the topographical survey for the property to use as your site plan.

To view our handout regarding what is required to apply for a permit for a fence, accessory building or deck, click here. Only one accessory building is allowed per property regardless of whether the accessory building is a shed, playhouse, pavilion, etc. Permits expire six months after issuance as long as you don't change the design. Time extensions may be granted by the Building Commissioner. If construction ceases for six months or longer, the permit is void.


To speak to an inspector, please call (440) 580-3105 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. To schedule an inspection you must know the project ID number from the permit for the location you are working at. You may call for inspections at (440) 580-3105 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and inspections require a 24 hour notice. Do not leave requests for inspections on the Building Department voicemail.


All drawings, documents and specifications submitted for official filing with the Building Department shall apply the embossing or wet seal impression over an ink signature to the title or first sheet of bound sets of drawings. All loose sheets or documents shall also bear the embossing or wet seal impression over an ink signature. The rubber stamp or reproducible facsimile version of the seal shall then be applied on all pages or tracings of the bound set of drawings to provide a legible reproduction of the registrant's seal. Four sets of drawings are required.


All commercial and residential contractors and sub-contractors are required to be registered with the Building Department. Registration is for one year beginning with your bond date.  Registration packets are available by calling the Building Department between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., visiting the Building Department at 16099 Foltz Parkway and by clicking below. Please be advised that the City of Strongsville Building Department has updated our bond forms to reflect that every applicant for new registration and renewal shall furnish and file with the Building Department a bond in the penal sum of Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000.00). In addition, the bond forms have changed to five options only. Click on one of these choices to print the packet: Electrical Contractor, HVAC Contractor, Plumbing Contractor, Fire Alarm/Fire Suppression Contractor and General Trades Contractor. If you do not hold an OCILB license, your bond will be for General Trades Contractor. Your bonding company must complete one of those bonds based on the work that you will be performing in the City of Strongsville. There is no need to change the bond that you have on file with us unless it’s time for you to renew. At that time, please advise your bonding company that they must use our new bond from our website. After February 1, 2019 we will not accept the outdated bonds for renewals or new registrations unless it was dated prior to January 23, 2019.

A building permit is required for each address a contractor works at in the City of Strongsville. In most cases, the general contractor applies for one permit to cover the complete job. A list of subcontractors (form) is required when applying for a permit. When calling for inspections, you must know the address of the site you are working at. You may call for inspections at (440) 580-3105 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Inspections require a 24 hour notice. Do not leave requests for inspections on the Building Department voicemail.

If you would like to see information listed on this Building Department page that is not listed, email the Building Department at with your suggestions. Please type the word website in the subject line.


If your project does not meet the Building Code or the Zoning Code and is denied by the Building Commissioner you may have the right to appeal to the Board of Zoning and Building Code Appeals. The information for that process is listed on this website under the government heading or you may click here to obtain the packet to apply for a variance.


The City of Strongsville Building Department conducts routine property maintenance inspections during the seasonal months of the year. We have been performing these inspections annually and will continue until every property has been inspected. You may see an inspector on your street ONLY between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. WEEKDAYS.

If you have concerns, always ask for our inspector’s identification, which will be an official City of Strongsville issued photo ID card. If the person does not have this ID card, please contact us immediately at 440-580-3105 or call the police non-emergency number, 440-238-7373.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact us at or call 440-580-3105.


Building Department phone (440) 580-3105; fax (440) 572-1856
Address: 16099 Foltz Parkway, Strongsville, OH 44149
Hours of operation: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Building Department Staff

Building Commissioner: Mike Miller; department administrator
(440) 580-3105 or
Assistant Building Commissioner: Brian Roenigk; ​Residential Building Official, zoning
(440) 580-3105 or
Senior Clerk: Kathy Zamrzla; permits, contractor registration, BZA Recording Secretary
(440) 580-3106 or
Clerk: Kim Bero-Lenio; permits, contractor registration
(440) 580-3105 or
Clerk: Kristi Onofre; permits, contractor registration
(440) 580-3105 or
Inspector: Jeff Mindyas; building, mechanical
(440) 580-3105 or
Inspector: Phil Hagan; plumbing, building
(440) 580-3105 or
Inspector: Mike Ward; electrical, residential building
(440) 580-3105 or