​Permits are required for many projects and additions to your property. If a contractor is doing the work on your property, the Building Department prefers that the contractor apply for the permit. 
If you belong to a homeowners association, check with them to discuss their regulations prior to submitting plans to the Building Department. 

Permit information, click here.

Homeowner & Contractor Portal

To view our handout regarding what is required to apply for a permit for a fence, accessory building or deck, click here. Only one accessory building is allowed per property regardless of whether the accessory building is a shed, playhouse, pavilion, etc.

All contractors working for a fee on your property are required to be registered with the City of Strongsville. A list of subcontractors is required for all projects. click here for the form.

A homeowner must apply for a permit if the homeowner is doing all the work on the project or is using a contractor for only part of the work. Building permits pay for inspections, which are required for most projects.

Permits expire one year after issuance as long as you don't change the design. Time extensions may be granted by the Building Commissioner. If construction ceases for six months or longer, the permit is void.

Apply for Permit


To speak to an inspector, please call (440) 580-3105 between the hours of 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

To schedule an inspection, you must know the project ID number from the permit for the location you are working at. You may call to schedule an inspection at (440) 580-3105 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Inspections require a 24-hour notice. Do not leave requests for inspections on the Building Department voicemail.