Refuse Collection

Trash Disposal

Strongsville contracts with Republic Waste Services for rubbish collection and curbside recycling. For questions about your trash pickup, please call Republic at (440) 572-7590.

NOTE: Your trash must be placed at the curb by 7 a.m. the day of pickup

Republic does not pick up on these holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. For a schedule of trash pickup days, click here.  To find the pickup day for your address, click here. NOTE: You will have to create an account on the Republic website to search for your address.

Transfer station

Republic Waste operates the Foltz Parkway Transfer Station, located behind the Strongsville Municipal Building, 16099 Foltz Parkway (use the driveway along the railroad tracks). Strongsville residents (proof of residency is required) can drop off excess household refuse (no remodeling or construction waste), scrap metal, tires (off the rim only), car batteries, appliances and yard waste like brush and branches (no grass clippings). NOTE: Freon no longer has to be removed from appliances brought to the Transfer Station. Republic Waste will remove it. 
Hours of operation are:
Monday through Friday – 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday – 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The area is under video surveillance. Anyone dumping illegally may be fined.
Under state law, liquids cannot be accepted at transfer stations. The Strongsville station does not accept liquids of any kind. Also not accepted: waste from construction or remodeling, dead animals, poisons, explosives, hazardous or corrosive chemicals, clothing taken from a person with an infectious disease, paint, gasoline, oil, thinners, soil, rocks, bricks, concrete blocks, grass clippings or leaves. For questions about disposing of these items, please call Republic Waste at (440) 572-7590.
Used motor oil is accepted by several area businesses. Oil can be dropped off at these locations.

Special Items for Disposal


Appliances and large items

Place appliances or other large items, including sofas, doors, dressers, mattresses and other furniture, on the curb on your regular trash pickup day. Before putting it out, Freon must be removed from appliances (refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers and air conditioners may contain Freon) by a certified professional and the appliance must be tagged. Republic Waste will NOT pick up the item if there is no tag. Doors on freezers and refrigerators must be removed.

NEW IN 2019: If you bring your appliance to the Transfer Station, Republic Waste will remove the freon from it. 

Does your appliance still work? Call the Cleveland Furniture Bank at (216) 459-2265, which accepts donations of appliances, furniture and household goods. 



Please don't place TV sets and other electronics in your curbside recycling. They can go in the regular trash, or there are options for recycling them


Please cut into 3-foot sections and roll and tie carpeting. Bundles should NOT exceed 35 pounds. Place at curb on your regular trash day. 


Mattresses can be left out with your regular trash, but if you'd like to recycle it rather than have it go to a landfill, click this link to see other options for mattress disposal.


Place syringes in a heavy plastic container like a detergent or 2-liter soda bottle, put on the cap and then tape it securely shut. Write “SHARPS” on the outside of the container and take it to the Transfer Station for safe disposal.



There are two ways for residents to dispose of brush:

1.      Take brush to the Transfer Station.
2.     Tie branches into bundles of 4-foot lengths and leave out for Republic Waste on your regular trash day. Bundles can weigh no more than 50 pounds each.

Christmas Trees

The city will recycle Christmas trees by chipping them and taking them to a state-approved compost facility rather than to a landfill. Remove ALL lights and ornaments from your tree and leave it at the curb on your regular trash day. The service typically runs through January, but is weather dependent. If it snows, crews may instead be assigned to plow. 

Shred Day

Shred Day in 2024 will be Friday, June 21 from 9 a.m. to noon at the Strongsville Middle School, 13200 Pearl Road. Please note the new location. (Site is different this year because of construction in the Town Center area). Residents can bring their documents to be shredded free of charge.

Acceptable items: (Small paper clips and staples can still be attached) accounting ledger paper, adding machine tape, advertisements, booklets/brochures, copy machine paper, colored paper - 20 pound, computer paper, envelopes, faxes, manila file folders, greeting cards, laser printer paper, legal pad paper, Post-it notes, NCR paper, receipts and all types of white paper.
NOT ACCEPTED:  Newspapers, phone books, magazines, binders, books, pendaflex folders, food and candy wrappers, waxed paper, photographs, napkins and Styrofoam containers.

Household Hazardous Waste

Strongsville hosts several collections of household hazardous waste each year at the Service Center, 16099 Foltz Parkway.
The round-ups are for households only, not for waste generated by businesses, schools, churches, charity organizations, camps or other groups. NOTE: LATEX PAINT IS NOT ACCEPTED.

In 2024, the collections will be:

April 30 - May 1 ,  7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
August 27 - 28,  7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

NOTE: The collections will run Tuesday and Wednesday this year.

Materials accepted – oil or solvent-based paint (no latex paint), varnish, mineral spirits, caustic household cleaners, adhesives, gasoline, sealers, polyurethane, herbicides, automotive fluids, roof tar, lighter fluid, primers and coatings, shellac, pesticides, motor oil, driveway sealer, mercury, paint thinner, turpentine, fungicides, car batteries and kerosene.
NOT accepted: LATEX PAINT. Dispose of latex paint by taking the lids off the cans and letting the paint dry out, then setting it out with the rest of your trash on your regular collection day. Also not accepted: explosives, gun powder, ammunition, flares, medical waste, pharmaceuticals, sharps and radioactive waste.
The collection facility is under video surveillance. Dropping off items during unauthorized times could lead to fines.


Batteries and fluorescent bulbs (including CFLs, the small, squiggly lightbulbs) WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTED at the Household Hazardous Waste collection. Cuyahoga County has implemented this change because those items are accepted for recycling at retail stores. CFLs can be recycled at Home Depot and Lowe's locations. Batteries Plus Bulbs, which has a store at 7611 W. Ridgewood Drive in Parma, will accept all types of bulbs for recycling, as well as some batteries. A small fee may apply. The Strongsville Batteries Plus Bulbs no longer accepts fluorescents. Some home improvement stores will also take rechargeable batteries for recycling.  Standard single-use batteries (AA, AAA, etc.) can be place in your regular trash. Please see the links below for more infomation from Cuyahoga County on recycling batteries and fluorescent bulbs.

Battery Recycling in Cuyahoga County

Fluorescent Bulb Recycling in Cuyahoga County




Place your recyclable items in a BLUE BAG at the curb on your regular trash collection day. Glass, plastics, cartons and metals can be co-mingled in the same bag. Please place papers in blue bags to keep them dry.

Combine cans, cartons, glass, paper, boxes and plastic bottles in blue recycling bags and place them at the curb on your regular trash collection day. Blue bags can be purchased at many stores where trash bags are sold, or you may use blue grocery store bags.

Recycling contamination, which happens when well-intentioned recyclers mistakenly put the wrong items into their recycling, is a problem nationwide and can wreak havoc on the recycling process in Cuyahoga County and around the world.

Cuyahoga County has simplified the process:
CANS: Empty and rinse. 

CARTONS: Empty and rinse. Replace the cap -- it’s too small to be recycled by itself! 

GLASS BOTTLES & JARS: Empty and rinse. 

PAPER & BOXES: Flatten cardboard items, like cereal boxes, to save space. Cardboard MUST BE NO LARGER than 4 feet by 4 feet.

PLASTIC BOTTLES & JUGS: Empty and rinse. Replace the cap.Place these items loose – not bagged – in your recycling bin, bag or cart. All items should be clean, empty and dry. Plastic bottles and jugs include items with an opening or neck that is narrower than the body. 

NEW! PLASTIC TUBS:  As of January 2021, oblong or circular plastic tubs (butter, sour cream, yogurt) are accepted for curbside recycling in some Cuyahoga County communities, including Strongsville.
Learn more about recycling best practices at

No more numbers 1-7

Did you know numbers 1-7 are no longer used to determine if a plastic item is recyclable? Instead, you now need to look at the shape of a plastic container to see if it can be recycled. Click here for a handy plastics guide. 
For more details about recycling, visit the Cuyahoga county Solid Waste District at or
The Solid Waste District also offers Recycling FAQs for Cuyahoga County and information on how to recycle properly.
For more information or to report a problem with recycling, call Jennifer Milbrandt, the city’s coordinator of natural resources, at (440) 580-3124 or Republic Waste at (440) 572-7590.


The Recycling Center is in the parking of the Strongsville Recreation and Senior Center, 18100 Royalton Road. NOTE FOR SPRING 2024: During construction in the Town Center area, the Rec Center can be accessed ONLY from Royalton Road, using the Greens of Strongsville (Target) entrance. 

Cans, cartons, plastic bottles, glass bottles and jars can be dropped off in the large blue container. See the curbside recycling list above for details. 

Paper and boxes, telephone books, office paper, junk mail and shredded paper can be recycled year-round in the green River Valley paper recycling containers. River Valley containers are also located at the Municipal Building at 16099 Foltz Parkway, at fire stations and Surrarrer Park.

Computer Recycling

Strongsville residents can drop off their computers for recycling at the dock garage doors at the Service Center, 16099 Foltz Parkway, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. on weekdays.
Acceptable components include monitors, CPUs, printers, terminals, keyboards, mice, modems, software, cell phones and ink cartridges.